Senior Security Engineer – Operational Infrastructure
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As a member of the Slack Security Operations and Response Team, you are the first line of defense for all the people and parts that together make up Slack. You get out of bed every morning thinking about new ways to make life miserable for bad actors. You get excited at the prospect of searching for your adversary, teasing out high-quality signal from the all the noise, and developing new ways to solve hard problems. Your work directly impacts the way millions of people, teams and businesses get things done.
- Operate the infrastructure, tools and rules that keep Security at Slack running: detection and response capabilities as well as capabilities that keep our overall platform operating securely
- Develop and implement strategies, creating and tuning tools for detecting and remediating malicious activity
- Build or enhance solutions to detect and mitigate new malicious threats
- Work in partnership with other teams at Slack to constantly improve our telemetry and defensive posture
- Participate in enterprise-wide operations to hunt for adaptable and previously unknown threats
- DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering experience (3-5 years) in AWS or similar cloud environment
- Experience performing configuration management, building infrastructure to handle required load and managing outages
- Experience with health and performance monitoring and performance optimization
- Experience improving and devising new ways to collect signal and identify suspicious events in an operational production environment; experience with process automation is a plus
- Broad exposure to various security disciplines and deeper understanding of models and principles behind core security concepts such as MFA and securely managing secrets or tokens
- Proficiency in Python or a similar language
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.