Graphic Design Group Manager
We are hiring an experienced manager to help build and lead a team of graphic designers and illustrators. The ideal candidate is someone with many years of visual design experience, who has led teams of designers in translating often complex messages, stories and product concepts into accessible and compelling visuals that aid user understanding. Visual designers work on a wide variety of projects that support our marketing, sales, communications, engineering, and product organizations. In this role, you will partner with your cross-functional peers to serve as a design leader on program strategy, and ensure consistent and high quality creative contributions from the design team. You will also work to elevate the health, growth and development of your team.
Slack is a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — if this sounds like a good fit for you, send us a nice hello, and links to your work and experience.
What you’ll do:
- Meet regularly with Communication Designers to give and gather feedback on craft, project progress, career development, work satisfaction and happiness.
- Develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality and consistency according to our brand guidelines.
- Collaborate with the Events, Product Marketing, Platform and other teams in our marketing and communication organizations to elevate program strategy, vision and design execution.
- Help define and drive design hiring goals, including sourcing, screening and interviewing.
- Roll up your sleeves and contribute to projects when necessary.
- Work with Marketing and other cross-functional partners to represent the design team, and give feedback in planning and strategy.
- Work with Design Operations to ensure that teams and projects are properly staffed, and that work is balanced for a Communication Designer’s ability, desire, and time.
- Lead agency and other external creative partners to successful execution on a variety of creative initiatives.
What we’re looking for:
- 8+ years experience leading design teams and developing team member’s skills and careers.
- A demonstrable foundation in typography, interaction and visual design, and ideation with a proven track record of shipping well-crafted design solutions.
- Experience leading and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- Experience leading design critiques, design sprints, team brainstorming and ideation exercises.
- A nuanced understanding of diverse and inclusive hiring practices.
- Experience partnering with marketing and engineering managers to develop the strategy for marketing program initiatives and website features.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.