Engineering Manager - Site Reliability Engineering
About the Team
Slack is looking for an engineering leader for our Production Engineering team. We have scaled faster than any software company before and have become the critical communication infrastructure for the world’s largest corporations. Reliability is essential and central to Slack’s mission and our promise to customers. The Production Engineering group operates as a Site Reliability Engineering team and engages with software development teams to improve the reliability, operability and visibility into the health of Slack’s software. Production Engineers develop the operational readiness of developers and coach them how to assume responsibility for running services and build resilient software. Are you a leader who can guide and rapidly scale this pilot team for Slack?
About the Role
Your responsibilities include:
- Recruit and retain the technical talent required to establish and expand this reliability focused practice
- Establish the criteria by which reliability engineers engage and produce value with software teams
- Develop communication programs to connect the team with the rest of the engineering organization
- Own the organizational objective of continuously improving our software developers operational awareness and responsibility
- Cultivate a safe work culture that inspires individual decision-making and innovation
- Coach for frequent and effective feedback among team members
- Represent Slack engineering and management at industry events
You might be a good fit if:
- You are passionate about management, coaching, and creating opportunities to support your directs’ success.
- Your leadership style makes space for multiple senior engineers and supports the growth of everyone on your team to keep pace with rapid change.
- You are able to weigh several, often conflicting constraints, and make quick decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—is needed for success.
- You are not expected to code but should possess technical experience in Reliability Engineering in order to recognize the important decisions your team faces and provide meaningful feedback.
- You have several years experience serving in an engineering management role.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Previous experience with Production Engineering / SRE
- Previous experience in DevOps transformations
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.