Business Intelligence Engineer
As a Business Intelligence Engineer, you will be enabling insights from our Product and Corporate Systems for key partners and decision makers at Slack. You would also be responsible for enhancing and maintaining our data warehouse and tools around it.
You will do this by partnering with various multi-functional teams like Product, Finance, Marketing, Sales and also fellow IT teams. You will design and implement a front-end platform, while working with the back-end storage systems for reporting and analysis. You will also build and maintain the data ingestion pipeline to keep the metrics flowing into this platform.
This is a fun role for problem solvers, who can intuitively anticipate problems and can also look beyond immediate issues. It is for people who and take initiative to improve both our software and our development infrastructure. In short, we look for people who take pride in the craft of Business Information Engineering and have actually shown themselves to be phenomenally great at it. If this role has your name written all over it, please contact us with a resume so that we explore further.
- Design, build and launch new data models and ETL pipelines that will make Slack even more data driven.
- Work with Engineering, Data Science and Product Management teams to build and manage a wide variety of data sets.
- Build rich and dynamic dashboards using out-of-box features, customizations and visualizations.
- Simplify and democratize access to use-able data throughout our various teams at Slack.
- Design and publish custom dashboards for business functions, stakeholders and employees around the company.
- Automate and document processes.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering discipline.
- 5+ years work experience showing growth as a BI Engineer.
- Problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills with ability to make sound complex decisions in a fast-paced, technical environment.
- Experience with AWS tools & technologies (S3, EMR, Kinesis, Lambda, API Gateway, Dynamodb etc).
- Ability to work on multiple areas like Data pipeline ETL, Data modeling & design, writing complex SQL queries etc.
- Expert knowledge in database technologies, which means excellent in SQL and an excellent understanding of trade-offs in building data models.
- Strong programming skills and experience in Python.
- Expertise with tools (For example: Tableau, Domo, Looker) is required to support our unique requirements for visualization, security, data access, etc.
- Strong experience in working with large data sets.
- Experience building ETL with open source tools such as Talend and Pentaho.
- Capable of planning and executing on both short-term and long-term goals individually and with the team.
- Passionate about various technologies including but not limited to SQL/No SQL/MPP databases etc.
- Experience with streaming data pipelines using any of Kafka, AWS Kinesis, Spark streaming etc would be a plus.
- Knowledge of Statistics and/or Machine Learning. Familiarity with columnar data would be a plus.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.