Senior Engineering Manager, Frontend Infrastructure
Lead the team building Slack's frontend infrastructure.
Frontend Infrastructure is a small group within the larger Infrastructure organization at Slack. We like to think of ourselves as the “backend of the frontend”, and are looking for someone to take the lead as the Engineering Manager for this team.
In addition to working with Slack's infrastructure teams, many of our projects involve outreach and discussion with other FEs around the company — we try to set directions and establish best practices, but we can't do that in a vacuum. Collaboration with our peers on other teams is critical!
The majority of Slack's usage happens on the desktop. A taste of our scale:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, and we see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
Some of our big projects in 2017 included:
- Enabling the frontend team to start using React & Redux
- Improving the data model to support teams with hundreds of thousands of users
- Creating a new build system and integrating it into our deploy process (we release code up to 90 times per day)
- Figuring out how we wanted to integrate our modern (ES6, React, JSX) code with our legacy (ES5, jQuery) code
In 2018, we are designing the Slack desktop client of the future and laying the groundwork for the next 3–5 years of development.
FE Infra might be small, but we're a critical group that is responsible for the lower levels of the Slack desktop and web clients — things like React, the data layer (using Redux), our WebSocket manager, and the general bootstrapping flow of the app. We also designed, built, and now run the frontend build system (Webpack for ES6 + LESS).
A few relevant posts from Slack's engineering blog:
- You have 5+ years of engineering management for productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You’ve led and/or been part of developer productivity teams that have internal, engineering partners. You understand the unique advantages and challenges of such teams.
- You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You're phenomenal at anticipating future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at creating roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Infrastructure is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well. We encourage and support each other’s growth and we do not expect any single person to have expertise across all of these areas.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.