Engineering Manager - Platform Mobile
Slack Platform’s mission is to make interactions between people and software delightful. We make it easier for people to integrate the software they have today, streamline internal workflows, and discover and integrate new software solutions. We are currently building the largest wall-to-wall platform for business software discovery and distribution.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps
Some of our big projects in 2017 included:
In 2018, we are laying the groundwork for the next 3 to 5 years of in-mobile client interactions with Slack Apps.
The Platform Mobile Engineering team is a small but important group that owns the entirety of the Slack Platform experience across Android and iOS. We are looking for an exceptional people manager with mobile development experience to take on the role of Engineering Manager for this team.
In addition to working within Platform Engineering, your work will require collaboration with other product groups and mobile infrastructure, to help with defining best practices across the company. We are part of a larger effort to build a first-class and consistent user experience packaged in to single applications, but we can’t do that in a vacuum; teamwork is essential!
- You have several years of serving in an engineering management or technical leadership role.
- You have hands-on experience in iOS or Android development and you are up-to-date on best practices in mobile development.
- You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams on Slack Platform. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Platform Engineering is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well. We encourage and support each other’s growth and we do not expect any single candidate to have expertise across all of these areas.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.