We are looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our legal team. You will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You will work closely with our Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This could be a special opportunity for the right person. We’re just getting started! And we’re nice. :)
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, and NDAs. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You will provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and collect new insights. Then, iterate again.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account companies policies and positions.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP and privacy laws, employment and other developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Advise on contracts management system and contract processes to optimize interactions with our Accounts team.
- 7+ years experience working on different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.) matched with deep experience on the types of transactions you will see most often (see above).
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It is a cliché, but attention to detail really is a requirement.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can own the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly rapidly growing and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security, and commercial laws or willingness to learn. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbook of fallback terms.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- You use Slack and love emojis
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams.
- Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.