Senior Software Engineer - Test Automation (Enterprise)
The team behind Slack is looking for Software Engineers in Test to join the Engineering team. Slack is a fast growing enterprise software company. We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. But we're also iterating on those systems rapidly as we continue to evolve how work happens. We average several large feature releases every week.
As a member of the team, you will develop frameworks, tools, and tests to cover the full depth and breadth of Slack’s client- and server-side functionality. This includes our desktop and web client, our iOS and Android clients, our external service integrations, the Slack platform API, and our supporting server infrastructure. Our product development team iterates rapidly and deploys new code several times each day; our automated test suites are fast, reliable, maintainable, and thorough. You will join the team's two goals of effective automated testing of the portions of Slack that already exist, and eager testing of features and functionality in progress.
- Define test strategy, build test plans, test cases, and automation for new web & mobile features and enhancements to existing features
- Partner with the engineering team to integrate test suites into the continuous integration system
- Collaborate with the Customer Support team to understand common issues and incorporate them into new test scenarios
- Work with the Operations team to investigate production issues and perform root cause analysis
- Communicate the quality of the product through metrics
- Support other types of quality targets such as performance, load and stress testing
- You are motivated by helping other engineers succeed. When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things. You like thinking of ways to improve efficiency or bring delight to the people you work with.
- You’ve been building web applications expertly for a while and can point to things you’ve worked on. You know how the web works. You know HTTP and what a good API looks like.
- Solid experience creating automated test frameworks for web applications or other software
- Experience with continuous integration environments, writing testable software, and test driven development
- You understand the fundamentals of git.
- Strong experience with bug tracking tools and procedures around logging and tracking bugs
- A solid understanding of how browser-specific internet traffic works in modern web applications, including HTTP, SSL, and JSON
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Knowledge of any of these frameworks would be good, but not necessary: Selenium, Watir, Sahi, Cucumber, and Phantomjs
- Development and/or testing experience on iOS or Android would be good, but not necessary
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.