Sr. Software Engineer, IT Tooling
As Sr. Software Engineer, IT Tooling in Core IT at Slack, you will help build and maintain our tooling platform. You will have the opportunity to work extensively on Slack integrations modeling best practice for our customers. From creating custom bots to building reporting apps, this role is focused on creating scalable solutions to improve efficiency for IT and the overall employee experience.
Core IT Operations is a small team making a large impact. Every improvement we ship has a corresponding impact on the velocity of the company as a whole. We have a strong commitment to quality, and understand that we're now working at scale where a one-in-a-thousand edge case is going to happen every week. We are also an inclusive team with deep empathy for our colleagues.
- Developing automation workflows and integrations for repetitive or manual tasks.
- Creating robust web apps pulling data from multiple sources.
- Producing clean, maintainable and well-documented code promoting modularity, extensibility and performance.
- Monitoring tooling platform to ensure high availability.
- Working closely with cross-functional stakeholders on IT-related initiatives and projects.
- Collaborating with peers to write, review, and provide feedback on a technical specification.
- Providing technical oversight and mentorship to more junior team members.
Ideally, you have these qualities:
- Motivated by helping other engineers succeed. When things break - and they will - you are eager and able to help fix things.
- You like thinking of ways to improve efficiency or bring delight to the people you work with.
- A strong communicator: Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- Able to mentor and model best practices for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- Know that the internet is a scary place and understand security concepts deeply and can put them into action to protect us and our users.
- Enjoy working with due to your positive attitude and technical competence.
- Have curiosity about how things work.
- Firm grasp of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages: PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale.
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for a while and can point to things you’ve worked on. You know how the web works. You know HTTP and what a good API looks like.
- Detailed knowledge of the git version control system - would be a plus.
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef - would be a plus.
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems - would be a plus.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.