Technical Lead Manager - Build and Release
About the Team
Slack’s Build and Release team makes the build and release of native client software fast and enjoyable for our developers. We maintain the tools and infrastructure that keep our Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android apps (yes, all of them!) building reliably and releasing frequently. We produce reliable, scalable infrastructure and enable the engineering teams building all of these applications to deliver feature after feature with confidence. This team works closely with other teams across the company with the sole mission of making Slack the best place in the world to develop desktop and mobile applications.
You should have familiarity with most of the target platforms but experience authoring or building software on each one is not expected. Instead, you should be able to research and experiment efficiently, have a bias towards automation, and a desire to make your fellow engineers more productive.
About the Role
This is a tech lead manager position based in San Francisco. Tech lead managers spend about half their time on people and team management, and half their time as active contributors to the technical work of the team.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Leading a team of up to three software engineers on the build and release team
- Representing build and release to multi-functional counterparts
- Documenting reasoning and decisions in a publicly accountable format
- Automating the configuration of Linux, Mac, and Windows build infrastructure
- Automating the installation and upkeep of build tools and dependencies
- Designing and maintaining automated release process tools and infrastructure
- Improving the reliability and performance of test and build processes
You might be a good fit if:
- You have led projects or teams, mentored engineers, or are interested in management.
- You have worked on mobile build and release teams, and are familiar with submitting to app stores.
- You are motivated by helping other engineers succeed and work efficiently.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to program managers, customer support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You are able to mentor and model standard methodologies for software build and release processes.
- You are someone that others enjoy working with due to your positive attitude and technical competence.
- Experience with CI tools, especially Jenkins
- Experience leading the configuration of Linux, Mac, and/or Windows build infrastructure
- Experience with mobile app build and release processes
- Experience leading projects or teams
- Management or team lead experience
- Experience with configuration management tools, especially Chef
- Experience with Visual Studio and Xcode
- Experience with native client development
- Experience with mobile and/or desktop app release management
- Experience with public cloud, especially AWS
- Experience with build software such as Gradle and Fastlane
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.