Engineering Manager - Build and Release
About the Team
Slack is looking for an engineering leader for our Build and Release team. This team is responsible for the delivery of Slack clients globally. We create the workflow, tooling and infrastructure that are required to deliver clients quickly and efficiently in addition to ensuring their quality and safety. As part of the team you will work closely with our Mobile and Desktop Developer Experience teams who ensure developers receive fast feedback throughout their delivery lifecycle. Applying CI/CD best practices to client delivery is an exciting and emerging field and with the help of you and this team Slack expects to make our client delivery world-class.
About the Role
This is a management position based in San Francisco, California.
Your responsibilities include:
- Building a team that understands the client delivery pipeline.
- Developing a vision for the automated workflow to improve the quality and speed of delivery for client software.
- Connecting with groups across engineering to understand the delivery pipeline needs.
- Aligning the team on key outcomes and measures.
- Fostering a culture that encourages individual decision-making and innovation.
- Supporting frequent and effective feedback between team members.
- Developing communication programs that connect the team to the rest of the organization and support daily prioritization and decision-making for the team.
- Representing Slack engineering and management in industry events.
You might be a good fit if:
- You are passionate about management, coaching, and creating opportunities to support your reports’ success.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You are not expected to deliver code, but you should possess enough technical experience in CI/CD to recognize the important decisions your team faces and give meaningful advice.
- You have several years experience serving in an engineering management role.
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Solid competency with iOS/Android build and delivery automation.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.