Director of Engineering
Slack is looking for an experienced engineering director to lead and grow our engineering team based in Denver, Colorado.
Slack’s Denver-based engineering team will cover different product areas and disciplines - from teams owning and building out features on our Enterprise and Developer platform, to more horizontal efforts within our Infrastructure and Service Engineering teams. Our expectation is that Denver will grow in its breadth to own and staff projects across our entire technical stack. Individual teams in Denver will have dedicated Engineering Managers who will report to our Site Lead. Our ideal candidate has led and managed teams (including managing managers) to tackle ambitious technical challenges at web scale.
Slack’s Denver office is located in the LoDo district, opening in late 2018; it will house hundreds of employees, with a large presence from our Product/Design/Engineering org, as well as people in account management, customer experience, legal, sales, and more. You’ll lead the engineering team, which currently includes one engineering manager with a small seed team. A big part of your role will be growing this team with talented hires and building an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can flourish.
You will have substantial support from our headquarters in San Francisco. While we have offices around the world that staffed with teams from sales, technical operations, and customer support, Denver is the 3rd office with product engineering and infrastructure outside of San Francisco, alongside Vancouver, Canada and New York City. We see these locations as the first steps towards a new level of scale for our company as we continue on a rapid growth trajectory with a bold mission: to make people’s working lives simpler, more pleasant, and more productive.
Our office in Denver enables us to work with people we otherwise wouldn't have a chance to, and we'll draw in talent that expands our capabilities and the depth of our experience. We deeply believe that diverse teams build better software and so we’ve released our diversity numbers each year.
This position reports to our VP of Engineering.
- Lead and coach a diverse set of engineering managers and engineers tasked with development covering a wide range of product, infrastructure, and ops/service engineering efforts.
- Partner with engineering managers in San Francisco to enable teams to execute against a broad set of goals, cross cutting much of the engineering organization, and helping guide the technological foundation upon which Slack’s next generation of products will be built.
- Collaborate with and communicate strategic initiatives to C-levels, VP's, management and individual contributors.
- Craft a meaningful culture, vision, and strategy for the Denver engineering team, ensuring immediate term goals are met while promoting teamwork and high standards.
- Represent the Denver engineering team across the engineering organization, both locally in Denver and to cross-functional coworkers in SF.
- Weigh tradeoffs and have in-depth discussions with engineers on the nuances of complex engineering systems.
- Work in close partnership with Product and Design to build best in class experiences for our users.
- You’re an experienced engineering manager who has coached and grown other engineering managers and leaders.
- You’ve managed multiple teams that have designed and operated a range of systems or features, particularly with user-facing and product implications.
- You’ve built scalable products in fast-paced environments.
- You pay utmost attention to team culture, and foster collaborative, inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a powerful long-term technical vision and help the team set pragmatic goals to meet it.
- You are a compelling and clear communicator who networks well with your peers to understand their product and technology requirements while also representing your own.
- You’re comfortable planning in quarters, and also have experience planning in years and executing on those plans.
Nice to have:
- Experience managing a distributed team or environment or experience working closely with other distributed teams.
- Experience leading teams and building technology and products in a rapidly growing company and knowledge of how to navigate the growing pains of that rapid growth.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.