Senior Frontend Engineer - Alerting & Incident Tools
About the Team
As part of the Alerting and Incident Tools team you will work closely with other teams in engineering, product development and customer experience to provide valuable insights to drive decisions and ensure an awesome experience for our Slack customers. We are an inclusive team with deep empathy for our colleagues and customers.
About the Role
This is a senior engineering position based in San Francisco.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Collaborating with an engineering team to learn what usability needs they have for viewing their alerts and service health, then implementing them.
- Making a change to our implementation of an open source tool, then pushing those changes upstream.
- Improving how we deploy and test our user facing tools.
- Teaching engineers how to use our tools to introspect their systems.
- Participating in the Alerting and Incident Tools on-call rotation, triaging and addressing relevant issues as they arise.
You might be a good fit if:
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You enjoy helping onboard new team members, mentoring, and teaching others.
- You model best practices for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- You are motivated by helping others succeed. When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things. You like thinking of ways to improve efficiency or bring delight to your coworkers.
- Firm grasp of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Experience building and debugging complex systems in a team environment
- Experience with modern browser technologies
- Strong UX and design sensibilities, and a desire to sweat the small stuff
- Experience working with open source tools
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Familiarity with Icinga, Grafana or other monitoring tools
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef
- Experience designing web sites or applications, especially for internal use by developers
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.