Intellectual Property Counsel
We are looking for a talented lawyer that is passionate about technology to be our first intellectual property counsel! You will focus on patent prosecution, so you should have an insatiable, almost perverse appetite for technical details but also have responsibility for Slack’s trademark portfolio and brand usage, IP-related litigation, open source compliance, copyright enforcement and more. Our innovative technology and rapid growth will raise difficult questions without obvious answers, so we need someone agile that can provide fast counsel on a broad array of IP challenges. And someone that is awesome. Does this sound like you? Then come join us at Slack!
As our first IP counsel, you will have the freedom to architect and implement new strategies to protect and leverage our intangible assets. This is not a job where you will slot into a silo to implement existing policy; you will be required to build policy and develop the supporting infrastructure in partnership with teams across Slack.
- Embed with our engineering and product teams to identify and protect innovation
- Draft and prosecute US and foreign patent applications and manage our patent docket
- Lead and promote programs to incentivize patent applications throughout Slack
- Develop and maintain Slack’s worldwide trademark portfolio
- Run and lead brand usage policies
- Assist with DMCA takedown and trademark infringement policies and procedures
- Assist in the development, negotiation and execution of intellectual property provisions in commercial agreements
- Run and implement improvements to internal policies for open source licensing of Slack technology and the integration of open source technology with Slack products
- Manage and support IP related litigation and any potential IP related risk
- Perform IP due diligence for strategic transactions
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree
- 8+ years of experience in intellectual property matters at a law firm or in-house legal department, including substantial patent experience
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law in California
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
- Entrepreneurial desire to build out a Legal function that is supportive, collaborative, transparent and cross-functional with other Legal team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science
- Experience running a global patent portfolio for a technology company
- You use Slack and love emojis
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams.
- Oh, and you should like being a lawyer. ;)
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.