Reporting to the Sr. Revenue Manager, the accountant will be part of the Revenue team that promotes consistent revenue recognition practices and ensures that Slack reports revenue in accordance with US generally accepted accounting practices.
The core responsibilities include translating companies go-to-market strategies into sustainable order-to-cash process, working closely with Sales and Legal to structure contracts that meet customers’ needs and maximize revenue, and ensuring that revenue is accurately accounted for in accordance to ASC 606. The role will interact externally with customers and auditors and internally with Sales, Business Ops, Legal and the Systems team.
The ideal candidate is a team player who is process driven and highly detail oriented, yet cares about continuous improvement, and is always striving to make things better. Sound interesting? Come work at Slack, we’re nice!
- Participate in month-end and quarter-end close accounting close process, including taking ownership of deferred revenue reconciliations, preparation of journal entries and analyzing related fluctuation analysis of the company’s balance sheet and income statement
- Maintain revenue operation flow documentation, including cut-off procedures, key SOX and mitigating controls
- Research accounting guidance and assist with writing technical memos to support revenue recognition conclusion
- Perform contract reviews, interpret contract arrangements and ensure that revenue and deferred revenue are accurately recorded
- Perform Standalone Selling Price (SSP) analysis
- Understand billing system limitations and help Sales structure billing that meets customer needs and adhere to company’s policies and guidelines
- Liaise with external auditor to support periodic audits related to revenue accounting
- Process billing adjustments and review for appropriate approval and ensure adjustments are non-concessionary in nature
- Participate in ad-hoc revenue and order-to-cash projects
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting or similar degree required
- At least 3 years of relevant accounting, finance, and revenue recognition experience (ASC 606)
- Familiar with revenue accounting for software or SaaS multiple-element arrangements (with professional service or premier support)
- Work experience in Big 4 Accounting firm a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excel in working across various cross-functional teams
- Advanced Excel skills (vLookup, pivot tables, etc.)
- Experience in SQL highly desired
- Experience in Slack platform a plus
- Experience with Workday Financials and SFDC a plus
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.