Engineering Manager - Search Infrastructure
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead and grow our Search Infrastructure team in New York City. Search Infrastructure is one of the teams within our Search, Learning and Intelligence (SLI) organization in New York City.
You’ll be responsible for forming the strategy and tactical plan for search technology across Slack, identifying common infrastructure needs in the company roadmap, and partnering with product and engineering leadership across Slack to enhance core features with search functionality.
You will manage a team responsible for architecting, developing and maintaining the infrastructure of our fast, personalized search across all of the knowledge within Slack: messages, people, channels, files, links, and more. Slack’s search index is 100TB+ and growing rapidly. We are looking for people who have led and managed teams tackling ambitious, technical challenges. No prior domain experience in search is required, though you should be voracious to learn about the area.
Search Infrastructure is a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering both in NYC and SF to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. We have a strong dedication to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are scrappy, independent, and pragmatic.
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Engineering Manager on our team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 5+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are pragmatic, organized, and biased toward shipping.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
Here are a few extra things that would be nice to have but not required:
- You have professional experience working data-driven products in an experiment-oriented environment.
- You have academic and/or work experience in some of the following areas: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, or natural language processing.
- Experience with SOLR / Elastic Search.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce / Hadoop / Spark.
- A deep understanding of statistics (experimental design, regression, etc.).
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.