Director of Security Engineering
Our Security teams support the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We recognize and value the contribution security makes to building trust and earning the business of our customers. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As Director of Security Engineering, you have three key areas of focus: Maintain customer trust through the use of innovative security solutions; Ensure the leaders and engineers on your teams are thriving, by investing in their development and growth; See that the important work your team is responsible for gets prioritized, resourced and accomplished.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
- Craft a meaningful vision and build tools, processes and products that improve the security of Slack's products, data and infrastructure
- Ensure achievement of immediate term goals through teamwork and high standards
- Work closely with cross functional teams to conceive security strategies and features that will help keep Slack’s data safe
- Use data to make decisions about prioritization and impact
- Build processes and frameworks to improve the teams’ execution and outcomes
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Mentor and coach the leaders and ICs within your teams, helping them to develop
- Build roadmaps and long-term team vision in partnership with the Product team
- Be accountable for driving program execution
- You are a coach and talent magnet. You have extensive experience growing teams, coaching managers and developing people
- You develop inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers
- You have experience leading teams and building security solutions for products that work at web scale
- You craft a compelling long term vision and set goals to meet it
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your teammates' best work to clients with varying levels of technical fluency
- You comfortably weigh several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- You have at least 5 years of engineering management experience, at least 2 of which should include managing managers
- You have enough technical expertise to be able to talk to participate and contribute to engineering and architecture decisions
- You have built, scaled and refactored teams, as needs shift. and driven them toward a consistent vision with reliable execution
- You possess extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.