Quality Engineer - Desktop
Slack is looking for people who are passionate about building exceptional desktop applications. We are looking for a skilled Quality Assurance Engineer to join our Desktop team. We want someone who enjoys working with engineering, design, product management, project management, customer experience, and other QA to design, own, and deliver on test plans for the desktop client.
This is an excellent position for someone who enjoys working on the full cycle of manual testing — crafting a strategy, writing a plan, building and executing tests, finding regressions, logging and verifying bugs, and producing comprehensive historical records of testing activities are all part of being successful in this position.
You will be responsible for:
- You will help develop and maintain a robust library of test cases for both new and existing features.
- You will need to be a reliable, friendly, and non-judgemental source of early feedback on new functionality and feature changes.
- You can expect to collaborate with members of the Customer Experience team to ensure that testing is complete and thorough before launching.
- You should be ready to work with Engineering to isolate and reproduce defects across all parts of the system and identify gaps in coverage.
- You will work closely with the 3rd party testing agency, set up test cycles and review test results
Your typical week might include:
- Writing test cases and running tests for new features on Windows or Mac platform.
- Bug verification, running smoke and regression suites on fixes.
- Working with the Customer Experience team to help identify steps to reproduce, asking clarifying questions and writing bugs. It is possible you will communicate directly with customers.
Things we believe are meaningful for this role:
- You have extensive experience testing desktop applications on macOS and Windows.
- Experience testing Enterprise software, SSO, 2FA, and use of virtual machines.
- You have the ability of juggling multiple high priority projects and know how to prioritize and balance your time.
- You possess deep knowledge of Windows and macOS platforms.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You have experience with usability and accessibility testing and love it.
- Your organizational skills and ability to capture and record detailed and accurate information about bugs and systemic issues are not to be mocked.
- You have outstanding troubleshooting skills when producing actionable repros and recommendations for a fix.
- You possess the ability to think creatively and approach the Slack client from multiple users’ perspectives, sensitivity towards pain points that could represent loss of a team or user (whether it’s an actual bug or not).
- You adopt and adjust to changes easily.
- Improvisation and flexibility. We operate differently than other teams. Standard QA processes won’t always work at Slack. Bring your bag of tricks.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Electron platform is helpful.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.