Staff Product Writer
Howdy! Slack is looking for an experienced writer and content strategist to support our product teams, and to help shape the craft of product content as a whole. If you like and excel at thinking about the strategy and narrative behind a user experience—and have a background of creating style guides, building systems for maintaining content, and mentoring other writers—please get in touch.
A bit about Product Writing at Slack: We’re part of the Product Design group, and we work to make sure Slack sounds human. We’re a small (but growing!) team, and we delight in giving and receiving feedback to help each other be the best writers we can be. We care about wit and deftness with tone, but we care most of all about clarity and helping users get things done. We’re somewhat split in our opinions on the Oxford comma. Join us and cast the deciding vote.
- Own product copy and content strategy for your team’s features
- Demonstrate the impact of your work proactively and often. Use data to guide your work and advocate for it
- Partner with Product Marketing, Product Management, and other cross-functional partners to develop a consistent voice, tone, and taxonomy for your product area
- Define best practices, lead creative exercises, and help set the vision and strategy for your product’s content, and for Product Writing as a whole
- Be an active and available craft mentor to other writers, and partner with us in building our positive, collaborative, healthy team culture
- 5+* years of industry experience
- A cover letter and portfolio of your work
- Demonstrated record of writing successful UI/UX copy with measurable impact
- Extensive experience advocating for content, garnering resources when needed, and driving projects forward even in the face of obstacles
- Extensive experience creating style guides, developing workshops, and building programs to establish content quality and help others write successfully
- Understanding of the Slack voice, and ability to extend it and adapt it based on context
* Through trial and error we've learned that people don't apply unless we provide a guideline. However, what’s more important to us than a number is the experiences you’ve had and the skills you’ve developed—regardless of the length of time it took to get where you are. Do you have 20+ years of experience? Awesome! Please apply. Have only 3 years, but feel you meet the requirements above? Send us your resume. We look forward to hearing from you.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.