Engineering Manager - Machine Learning
Over 8 million people use Slack every day: to have a quick conversation with a coworker, share a file, monitor a customer issue, basically anything it takes to get work done. Over time, these conversations accumulate, creating a comprehensive, unique high-fidelity dataset of how work gets done at companies around the world. We are seeking an experienced Machine Learning leader to help turn this massive dataset into customer value.
As the manager for Machine Learning, you will be building out the technical vision and strategy for Machine Learning at Slack. You’ll be instrumental in developing and building out the team, guiding the modeling and engineering approaches, and communicating strategy and results to the broader organization. You’ll partner closely with leaders in Product and Design to build features that make people’s working lives simpler, more pleasant and more productive. Our work spans many disciplines: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, data science/quality, and natural language processing/understanding.
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Engineering Manager on our team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 5+ years experience leading a team of PhDs and ML Engineers; ideally in both consumer and business to business environments.
- Prior hands-on experience working on data-driven problems. Examples could range across ranking, recommendations, classifications, collaborative filtering, click-through rate prediction, fraud detection, and so on.
- Passion for establishing data driven culture, building high-performing teams, and growing business impact.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are pragmatic, organized, and biased toward shipping.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
Here are a few extra things that would be nice to have but not required:
- PhD in Information Retrieval, NLP or any other of area of ML.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce/Hadoop/Spark.
SLI is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well. We encourage and support each other’s growth.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.