Infrastructure Engineer - Test Infrastructure
About the Team
Slack is looking for engineers to design and build solutions and automated processes to improve the performance and insights we gain from our software testing systems.
This is an excellent opportunity for a generalist or an operations engineer who enjoys working on platforms and infrastructure that Slack engineers rely on to build software and execute automated tests to release high-quality products. We work with many different teams and products. One size does not fit all so please bring your bag of tricks.
About the Role
What you will do:
- Collaborate with engineering teams to build reliable end-to-end test infrastructure, processes, and interfaces for native clients and backend services test suites.
- Implement tools and technologies like Kubernetes to provision and configure scalable testing frameworks in public clouds.
- Identify, automate, and teach engineers how to optimize repeated tasks.
- Participate in the team on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
Projects you might work on:
- Improve monitoring and alerting for pre-production testing systems and workflows.
- Implement automatic provisioning to meet demands for testing environments.
- Build a parallel processing framework for distributing load for complex tests.
You might be a good fit if:
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You love mentoring and modeling behaviors for writing unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- You champion a data-driven approach to iterating on complex problems and your team’s impact can be proven via metrics.
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- Firm grasp of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Strong understanding of how the web works: you know HTTP, SSL and TCP/IP and what a good API looks like.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Would be great to have:
- Experience in DevOps or Site Reliability for a company experiencing fast-paced growth.
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef.
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus).
- Prior experience with automation frameworks (Selenium, Cypress, RSpec).
- An interest in developing infrastructure for testing mobile applications.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.