Director of Engineering
Slack is looking for an experienced engineering director to lead and grow our engineering teams in New York City.
Slack’s NYC-based engineering team will cover different product areas and disciplines - from teams owning and building out features on our core offerings to building out our Search, Learning, and Intelligence capabilities. Our expectation is that New York will grow in its breadth to own and staff projects across our entire technical stack with the Site Lead identifying opportunities for growth and driving the long term vision of the office. Individual teams in New York will have dedicated Engineering Managers who will report to our Site Lead. Our ideal candidate has led and managed teams, including others in senior leadership roles and is equipped to scale a small group of engineers into an organization of over 100.
Slack’s NYC office is located in the NoHo district, which started in 2017 and is poised to play a pivotal role in Slack’s future growth. Currently staffed with teams of engineers, designers, and product managers, a big part of your role will be growing this fantastic team by hiring more incredible folks and building an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can flourish.
You will have substantial support from our headquarters in San Francisco. We have offices around the world that have folks from sales, technical operations, and customer support but currently only 2 offices with product engineering and infrastructure outside of SF: Vancouver, Canada and NYC. We see these locations as the first steps towards a new level of scale for our company as we continue on a rapid growth trajectory with a bold mission: to make people’s working lives simpler, more pleasant, and more productive.
Our office in NYC enables us to work with people we otherwise wouldn't have a chance to, and we'll draw in talent that expands our capabilities and the depth of our experience. We deeply believe that diverse teams build better software and so we’ve released our diversity numbers each year.
This position reports to our Vice President of Engineering, Michael Lopp.
- Lead and coach a diverse set of engineering managers and engineers tasked with development of our search infrastructure, machine learning services and search and data products team.
- Craft a meaningful vision and strategy to ensure immediate term goals are met while promoting teamwork and high standards.
- Collaborate with and communicate strategic initiatives to C-levels, VP's, management and individual contributors.
- Build the technological foundation upon which Slack’s next generation of products will be built.
- Represent the engineering team across the engineering organization both locally in NYC and to stakeholders in SF.
- Weigh tradeoffs and have in depth discussions with engineers on the nuances of complex engineering systems.
- Work in close partnership with our broader engineering organization to build best in class experiences for our users.
- You’re an experienced engineering manager who has coached and grown other engineering managers and leaders.
- You’ve managed multiple teams that ideally designed and operated critical infrastructure, particularly with user-facing and product implications.
- You foster collaborative, inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a powerful long-term technical vision and help the team set pragmatic goals to meet it.
- You are a compelling and clear communicator who networks well with your peers to understand their product and technology requirements while also representing your own.
- You’re comfortable planning in quarters, and also have experience planning in years and executing on those plans.
Nice to have:
- Experience managing a distributed team or environment or experience working closely with other distributed team in different timezones.
- Experience leading teams and building technology and products in a rapidly growing company and knowledge of how to navigate the growing pains of that rapid growth.
- You’ve built search products and/or have a background working on problems related to search, NLP, ML, or data science broadly speaking.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.