Engineering Manager- Developer Platform
Slack Platform’s mission is to make interactions between people and software delightful. We make it easier for you to integrate the software you use every day, streamline internal workflows, and discover and integrate new software solutions. We are building the largest wall-to-wall platform for business software discovery and distribution.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 200k+ weekly active developers building on the platform
- 94% of our paid teams on Slack actively use apps
The Platform API Infrastructure Engineering team’s mission is to build the world’s best Developer API by providing the highest levels of performance, quality, reliability, and security for both our customers and developers. We are looking for a exceptional people manager with experience building out Developer APIs to take on the role of Engineering Manager for this team.
In addition to working within Platform Engineering, many of our projects require collaboration with other product groups and we are leading the charge in defining best practices for developing APIs across the company. We are building a first-class and consistent developer experience, but we can’t do that in a vacuum; collaboration is critical!
In 2019, we are laying the groundwork for the next 3 to 5 years of evolving and scaling the Slack Platform. Some of our ownership areas include: consistency and backwards compatibility of the Slack Developer API, the Events API, and API Security Features.
- You have several years of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- You have hands-on experience in API design and development and you are up-to-date on best practices for developer platforms.
- You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams on Slack Platform. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Platform Engineering is a fun, diverse, and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well. We encourage and support each other’s growth and we do not expect any single candidate to have expertise across all of these areas.
Slack is the collaboration hub of choice for companies of all sizes, all across the world. By using Slack, they ensure that the right people are always in the loop, that key information is always at their fingertips, and new team members can get up to speed easily. With Slack, teams are better connected.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. We currently have nine offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, Toronto and Denver.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.