Senior Engineering Manager, Developer Platform
Slack Platform’s mission is to make interactions between people and software delightful. We make it easier for you to integrate the software you use every day, streamline internal workflows, and discover and integrate new software solutions. Slack is looking for an Engineering Manager based in San Francisco to help lead our Platform API Infrastructure team.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier
- We have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid customers on Slack actively use apps
Slack Platform Engineering has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like you, we would love to talk.
What you will be doing
Platform API Infrastructure is a collection of engineers within the larger Developer Platform Ecosystem team. API Infrastructure owns the consistency, quality, and security of our public APIs. Aside from building products that directly affect the way external developers use Slack’s APIs, we are focused on developing best practices for API design across Slack Engineering and scaling the Platform to enable future development. As we grow our team, we are looking for an exceptional people manager with experience designing and shipping customer-facing APIs.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Mentor, coach, and inspire a team of senior engineers tasked with delivering performant, secure, and delightful APIs
- Craft a meaningful vision for the team, working in concert with product managers, developer relations, and our developer community
- Represent the team to engineering groups internally and externally, Slack’s current and future customers, and our partner organizations
- Ensure we meet our commitments to ship high-quality software, clearly communicating across the product development team and company regarding key milestones or any time there are risks to our commitments
- Manage on-call responsibilities and ensure the team is effectively delivering a highly available service to customers
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
What you should have
- You have 4+ years of serving in an engineering management or technical leadership role.
- You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams across Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.