Senior Researcher, Search and Discovery
Slack is hiring a Senior Researcher in New York to partner with our Search and Discovery team. Search and Discovery focuses on helping users find, browse, organize, and discover information within their organizations in an effort to improve their work lives. You'll lead research in this area while collaborating with business partners across the company. If you’re excited about the future of work, please apply.
The Research & Analytics team aims to improve product value throughout the customer experience by understanding the how and why of team workflows, communication processes and cultures. We provide data at every stage of the product development cycle. As a researcher, you are embedded in a product vertical alongside a team of Designers, Product Managers, Engineers and other business partners. In addition to conducting a variety of practical and impactful research, you're building and maintaining the strong user-centered culture at Slack.
Our work ranges from formative to evaluative, with everything in between. The right person will be a strong researcher and is passionate about technology, comfortable in a fast-moving organization and focused on shaping the design of Slack. You'll conduct best-in-class research to fulfill Slack’s mission of making working life simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Gather and prioritize key questions from the Product, Design, Engineering, and Marketing teams
- Plan and conduct practical and impactful research throughout the entire product cycle to answer the questions posed above
- Gather insights about customers and prospects by using various research methods—including surveys, interviews, diary studies and usability studies
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative results and convey those insights to the appropriate people in an engaging and actionable manner
- Work closely with product teams in order to help them use research insights to make Slack better
- Work closely with other insights teams to tell a cohesive story
- Be an internal evangelist for customer and product research
What you should have
- 5+* years industry experience
- Masters or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or similar), or have equivalent experience
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Experience managing projects involving cross-functional teams
- Ability to collaborate effectively and communicate clearly
- Willingness to get your hands dirty doing a wide variety of research-related tasks—including recruiting participants
* Through trial and error we've learned that people don't apply unless we provide a guideline. But what’s more important to us than a number are the experiences you’ve had, and the skills you’ve developed, regardless of the length of time it took you to get where you are. Have 20+ years? Awesome, please apply. Have only 2 years, but feel you meet the requirements above? Great, please apply.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.