Senior Engineering Manager, Data Stores and Caches
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
Infrastructure at Slack
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. Our team maintains and builds the lower levels of our stack, including:
- Edge services
- Real-time messaging
- Asynchronous background job processing
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, resilient, and scalable. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly.
Slack's API and web backend is built on PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. Our data infrastructure is built on Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, and MySQL. Our Chief Architect, Keith Adams, spoke about our architecture at QCon in 2016.
What you will be doing
We are looking for a seasoned engineering manager to lead the Data Stores and Caches team. You will report to the Director of Infrastructure Engineering and will work closely with other managers in Infrastructure and Service Engineering.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are scrappy, independent, and pragmatic. Infrastructure is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well.
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You have 5+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.