Senior Engineering Manager, Backend and Web Services Foundations
Lead Slack’s Microservice transformation through evangelism and strategic build out of service infrastructure and frameworks
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Infrastructure at Slack
Our Infrastructure team is the scalability of Slack! We build and seal all of the back-end systems that make Slack work and providing a seamless experience. Web Services Infrastructure and Frameworks teams build and provide the foundational infrastructure for a service oriented architecture at Slack. The team designs, develops microservices communication framework that supports both data plane and control plane. This team is also responsible for the evolution of our million line+ Hack/Php codebase to unlock productive, scalable development on the monolith. This involves defining and building frameworks, abstractions, tools to support best practices, scale, safety and efficiency. We are looking for a seasoned manager to lead the Web Services Infrastructure and Backend Foundations group in delivering our transformation from monolithic based architecture to a service oriented architecture.
Responsibilities: What you will be doing
- Define, evolve and communicate the team’s vision, mission and strategy across Slack.
- Partner with engineering and service engineering stakeholders across Slack to drive the team’s vision and execution forward in a timely, efficient manner
- Collaborate with Product and technical leaders to build a compelling vision and roadmap for your team
- Cultivate a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on execution, quality and scale
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 5+ years of Engineering Management experience managing and leading productive, highly functioning teams.
- Strong ability to communicate the team’s mission to other engineering teams
- Have mastered the art of requirement gathering and keeping the team focused on the most important initiatives.
- Excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.