We are looking for a talented patent attorney or patent agent who is passionate about technology to help build Slack’s patent portfolio! You will focus on patent prosecution, so you should have an insatiable, almost perverse appetite for technical details. Our innovative technology and rapid growth will raise difficult questions without obvious answers, so we need someone agile who can provide fast counsel on a broad array of patent questions.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Embed with our engineering and product teams to identify and protect innovation
- Draft and prosecute US and foreign patent applications and manage our patent docket
- Develop patent filing and prosecution strategies for Slack’s global patent portfolio
- Lead and promote programs to incentivize patent filings at Slack
- Advise and educate Slack employees on patent issues
- Support other patent related activities as needed, including open source, patent licensing, patent due diligence, and portfolio acquisition initiatives
What you should have
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- 3+ years of patent prosecution experience at a law firm or in-house legal department, including drafting patent applications in software and computer-related arts
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well
- Ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed
- Entrepreneurial desire to build out a patent function that is supportive, collaborative, transparent and cross-functional with other Legal team members
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law in California
- Experience running a global patent portfolio for a technology company
- You use Slack and love emojis
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams
- Oh, and you should like patents ;)
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.