Sr. Engineering Manager, Data Modeling & Architecture
Slack is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead our Data Modeling and Architecture (DMA) organization. We are a critical part of the Data Engineering organization at Slack, partnering closely with engineers, product owners, and other internal partners to transform our vast undifferentiated product data into useful and reliable data products. We are key to Slack’s ability to make tactical and strategic product and engineering decisions, as well as feeding internal teams’ (Finance, Sales, Marketing, etc) voracious appetite for product data. While DMA is only one team within Data Engineering, our efforts are what drive Data Engineering to deliver on its fundamental mission: Provide the company with relevant, reliable, data. As such, DMA has a critical role in Data Engineering’s and Slack’s success, and this position is pivotal to the care, feeding, and success of the team and its products.
Our data engineers push the limits of our data infrastructure and business intelligence tools, work with engineers and data analysts to optimize logging, and establish methodologies for table schemas and data storage. You will manage a team of Data Engineers (including engineers ranging from people new to the field to extremely tenured engineers, as well as another manager) to help power all of Slack’s product-focused analytics and decision-making.
You have significant experience working with, and balancing the needs and priorities of, a complex set of partners. You get excited about building a strong data foundation for the company and having a profound impact on Slack’s relationship with data. You are independent, and care deeply about people -- their fulfillment, success, happiness -- and organizations -- their impact, health, and cohesion.
What you will be doing
- Own core datasets that power analytics and visualizations to support product team decision-making.
- Work closely with analysts and product teams to understand current and future data needs.
- Define and run SLAs for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership.
- Find potential opportunities for building new tools to scale and provide self-service solutions
- Build and cultivate a thriving team of Slack engineers and managers, focusing on impact, high trust, reliability, strong cohesion, and retention through the full employee lifecycle
What you should have
- You have at least five years in an engineering management / team lead role, and have managed managers
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are organized.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce/Hadoop/Spark.
- You have excellent communication skills including the ability to actively identify data issues and drive them to resolution.
- You possess proven computer science fundamentals: Data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.