Application Engineer, Business Technology
We’re a small but capable team of Application Engineers in IT that empowers the people at Slack to do their best work. We champion operational excellence by building high-quality slack applications, micro-services, as well as testing and monitoring systems that help ensure we deliver a first-in-class system. Our work serves a vital role here and influences teams across the company, including Marketing, Sales, Finance, and HR.
Slack has a positive, diverse and supportive culture—if this sounds like a fit for you, send us a note. We'd love to learn more about you.
What you will be doing:
- Build and maintain robust slack applications and bots for third-party enterprise systems using best of breed languages, frameworks and tools.
- Design and develop Slack API endpoints to help Slack Business Operations.
- Write scalable tests, release plans and end-user documentation to support our fast-growing organization
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather requirements
- Collaborate with peers to write, review and provide feedback on technical design proposals
What you should have:
- 5+ years of experience building enterprise-level development with a focus on performance, scalability and security
- Experience with programming languages that include PHP/Hack, Ruby, Python, Node JS, Go, etc
- Strong computer science fundamentals: algorithms, data structures, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Familiar with web platform technologies: REST APIs, GraphQL, OAuth, HTTP, Nginx
- Experience in working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment using Scrum or Kanban successfully
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills —you effortlessly translate complex technical concepts for a non-technical audience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems or equivalent experience
- Experience with Workato, Mulesoft or other integration platforms
- Experience with Salesforce, NetSuite, Workday and/or Marketing Cloud
- Experience with databases that include MySQL, Postgres, Hive, and Redis
- Knowledge in large-scale, high-volume systems like Kafka
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.