Reporting to the Revenue Manager, you will be part of the Revenue team that promotes consistent revenue recognition practices and ensures that Slack reports revenue in accordance with US generally accepted accounting practices.
The core responsibilities include translating companies go-to-market strategies into sustainable order-to-cash process, working closely with Sales and Legal to structure contracts that meet customers’ needs and maximize revenue, and ensuring that revenue is accurately accounted for in accordance to ASC 606. The role will interact externally with customers and auditors and internally with Sales, Business Ops, Legal and the Systems team. You'll be a team player who is process driven and highly detail oriented yet cares about continuous improvement, and is always striving to make things better.
Sound interesting? Come work at Slack, we’re nice!
What you will be doing
- Participate in month-end and quarter-end close accounting close process, including taking ownership of deferred revenue reconciliations, preparation of journal entries and analyzing related fluctuation analysis of the company’s balance sheet and income statement
- Maintain and update revenue operation flow documentation, including cut-off procedures, key SOX and mitigating controls
- Research accounting guidance and assist with writing technical memos to support revenue recognition conclusion
- Perform contract reviews, interpret contract arrangements, understand revenue recognition implications and propose accounting treatment.
- Ensure that revenue and deferred revenue are accurately recorded
- Perform Standalone Selling Price (SSP) analysis
- Liaise with external auditor to support periodic audits related to revenue accounting
- Process billing adjustments and review for appropriate approval and ensure adjustments are non-concessionary in nature
- Participate in ad-hoc revenue and order-to-cash projects
What you should have
- Bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting or similar degree required
- At least 3 years of relevant accounting, finance, and revenue recognition experience (ASC 606)
- Familiarity with revenue accounting for software or SaaS multiple-element arrangements (with professional service or premier support)
- Work experience in Big 4 Accounting firm a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excel in working across various cross-functional teams
- Advanced Excel skills (vLookup, pivot tables, etc.)
- Experience in SQL highly desired
- Experience in Slack platform a plus
- Experience with Workday Financials and SFDC a plus
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.