Staff Network Engineer
As a member of the Core BizTech Experience (Core BTX) team at Slack, you will be part of a team of engineers who specialize in delivering reliable infrastructure and SaaS services to our users. Slack is a global company, and these services are critical to ensuring our employees have delightful technology experiences.
The Core BTX Engineering team is seeking a senior network engineer with an accomplished background in administration and automation. The Network Engineer will partner with our SF-based team to design, implement, and support our global network footprint.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Design, implement, and support scalable networking solutions to address a variety of business challenges.
- Excel in a dynamic environment with the ability to multi-task and work not only on projects, but also provide operational support.
- Be a collaborative teammate that will work across multi-functional groups and mentor others.
- Drive consistent improvement by refining tooling, automation, and documentation.
- Provision and solve carrier transport and IP transit circuits.
- Configure and administer network monitoring tools.
- Configure and administer routers, switches, firewalls, and wireless infrastructure in a multi-vendor environment.
- Fix network failures and performance issues.
- Occasionally be required to travel domestically and internationally.
- Participate in an on-call rotation covering all of the above.
- Maintain and implement network configuration and security compliance standards.
- Identify internal process and automation improvements and deploy scalable technical solutions.
- Work proficiently with minimal daily mentorship and bring mature seasoned skills when working with production systems.
- Build and maintain detailed and accurate documentation.
What you should have
- 12+ years of hands-on experience with routing, switching and enterprise wireless technologies.
- Solid understanding and hands-on experience with network routing protocols and configuration, specifically BGP and OSPF.
- Fundamental understanding of enterprise network design, including office, campus, and global connectivity.
- A dedication to maintaining a consistent end-user experience on a global network scale.
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise wireless design, deployment and troubleshooting.
- Advanced knowledge of network layer security including: Firewalls, 802.1.x, Network Authentication Systems, and VPN technologies.
- Strong knowledge of network device monitoring, logging, and automation solutions.
- Desired experience with Meraki switches and access points.
- Desired experience in multiple hardware vendor syntaxes including Juniper, Cisco IOS/AireOS, Arista
- B.S. in computer science or similar field or equivalent experience.
- You have the ability to gracefully react to high-priority requirements with little or no notice, providing clear documentation and follow-through.
- You have the ability to balance contending priorities and work alone or within a team equally well.
- You have excellent reliability, dependability, and integrity.
- You have solid attention to detail and accuracy.
- You have great people and communication skills and are driven to solve people's problems.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.