Engineering Manager, Data Tools
Slack is looking for an Engineering Manager to help lead the Experimentation Platform Engineering team. The team provides Data Scientists and other advanced data users the tools they need to accelerate insights generation and enable informed product decisions. You should have deep technical skills, be comfortable contributing to a growing experiment platform, be product-focused, and be excited about creating a strong data-driven culture within the company. You are also independent, and excited about having a big impact at Slack. You are able to have a North Star vision in defining the direction that experimentation heads towards.
Our Software Engineers push the limits of our data warehouse, business intelligence tools and experimentation platform. You will lead and scale the team to help empower the entire Slack product org to become more data-driven. This team works with Product engineers, ADU (Advance Data Users) and Data analysts to optimize logging, generate dashboards to track exposure metrics, etc. You will lead a team of Software Engineers to help power analytics for advanced data users across Product and Engineering, Sales, and more.
What you will be doing
- You will be leading and growing a highly diverse team
- Help teams stay focused on RTB (Run the Business activities) and closely partner with the pillar teams across Slack
- Steer the re-engineering and re-architecting efforts on our Experimentations platform to build a highly resilient and reliable platform to work well within SLA limits
- Work closely with Advance Data Users (ADU), Analysts and Product teams to understand current and future data needs around logging, experiments and tracking/rollout of the same
- Find potential opportunities for building new tools to scale and provide self-service solutions
- Lead teams in the micro services world; building out such services to solve complex and linearly scalable problems
- Lead teams in UI that leverage UI frameworks in React
- Focus on release automation, making use of technologies like Docker, Kubernetes for the CI/CD pipeline
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- At least two years in an engineering management role
- Familiarity working with Agile software development lifecycle
- Ability to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to proactively identify data issues and drive to resolution
- You’ve built or utilized large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with Big data technologies like Airflow, Kafka, MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark and BI and Visualization tools
- You possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.