Sr. Software Engineer, Mobile Developer Experience
The Mobile Developer Experience team builds the tools and infrastructure required to enable mobile client development at Slack’s ever-increasing scale. This team’s ambitious mission is to make Slack the best place in the world to be a mobile developer. Software engineers on the Mobile DevXP team understand that the best mobile applications are developed by mobile teams that have great internal tools, the most stable and scalable automated testing infrastructure, and an extensive performance benchmarking toolset.
As a mobile developer experience engineer, you realize that every extra second a build takes is a second lost, that every reliably run test is another bug prevented, and that many of the tools needed to develop amazing mobile applications still need to be dreamed up and built. You will create, support, and internally promote the tools and infrastructure that make the lives of Slack mobile developers, and potentially the larger mobile developer community, more pleasant and more productive.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What You Will Be Doing
- You’ll participate in the strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs.
- You’ll lead a broad functional area and directly contributes to the team's overall planning.
- You'll brainstorm with Mobile Engineers, Product Managers and Engineering Managers to conceptualize and build new tools for our large (and growing!) engineer base.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You'll assist in triaging and resolving development issues.
- You’ll develop & implement tools for ensuring the quality & workflow of our application.
- You'll mentor other engineers and deeply review code.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What You Should Have
- You’ve been building tool, infrastructure, workflow for Mobile professionally for 5+ years.
- A feedback-driven and customer-centered approach towards internal product development
- Strong computer science fundamentals and a knack for building production systems that scale
- An eagerness to work with and integrate 3rd party systems with the good judgement to know when it’s appropriate to build something in-house instead
- The ability to work within whichever programming language is required to get the job done, be it Python, PHP, HackLang, ObjC, Swift, Java, Kotlin, etc. with proficiency in at least one
- Experience creating and interfacing with server-side automation endpoints
- A constant desire to improve, learn more, and take things higher
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- Data driven decision making process.
- You are a strong communicator.
- Familiarity with the current state of the Android and/or iOS development tool ecosystem for development, testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking
- Familiarity with test automation, especially UI test automation
- Experience developing distributed systems at scale
- Experience creating web based dashboards
- Experience developing mobile applications
- Experience using Slack and a keen interest in making it better
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.