Sr. Manager, Business Technology (Data Engineering - IT)
As Senior Manager at Slack, you will be a people leader of a team of Data Engineers, Application Integration Engineers and IT Network & Systems Engineers primarily in our Pune, India office, as well as being responsible for creating an exceptional technology experience with the tools that we use to support our users.
You will deliver a quality, customer-focused experience for all of products and services we deliver to Slack employees. The ideal person has a vision for IT in a SaaS-based world, a real passion for providing simple solutions to complex business problems, and a focus on determining how technology can improve user experience and reduce friction.
As the senior Business Technology / IT leader in our Pune office, you will also be the day-to-day site lead for our entire BizTech department, helping nurture our team dynamic and culture across multiple teams in that location. In this role you will report to the Vice President of Business Technology, who is based in San Francisco, CA.
The team provides the technology that makes our employees more productive including, but not limited to, the corporate network, client platform, identity services, SaaS application management, Data and Analytics and integrations with Slack and other tools.
You are a high-energy, self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to navigate a rapidly changing landscape. You enjoy and excel at team building and development, as well as collaborating across functions. Technical expertise and a real passion for innovation are crucial for this role, but you’ll balance that with a desire to improve the user experience for the products and services we deliver to the Slack community.
- Build a high performing IT team of Data Engineers, Application Integration Engineers and IT Network & Systems Engineers in collaboration with other IT leaders.
- Manage a matrix-ed organization where your team is embedded within other IT teams to achieve a certain outcome (example data engineers are working with on-site data team and at the same time have independent tracks).
- People manager of team with diverse technical skills (application integration, data engineering, core IT, other IT systems). Mentor, career development, performance and day to day management.
- Participate and contribute to fiscal/qtr planning and budgeting. Establish and track OKRs for Pune site for IT.
Develop and nurture the Pune site IT culture, across all IT teams represented there.
- Pursue user-impacting issues with the grit and determination needed to see them through to resolution.
- Partner with other BizTech leaders in development of technology strategy for our data, software and infrastructures services within IT at Slack.
- Effectively communicate with internal & external stakeholders regularly about progress on projects, performance and potential business risks.
Establish and handle relationships with our vendors and suppliers.
- 5+ years of experience in an IT people management position.
- People Leadership experience is crucial.
- Should have experience in hiring at different levels and growing the team.
- 4+ years in data engineering/data warehousing roles, either in people leadership or as an individual contributor or 4+ years in application integration roles in IT, either in people leadership or as an individual contributor.
- Experience leading a team that engages across multiple locations globally.
- Experience working with stakeholders in traditionally non-engineering functions (Sales, Marketing, Legal, HR, Finance, etc).
- Desired experience in a corporate IT or Tooling organization.
- Experience leading teams that combine multiple APIs and web services to create complex integrations and workflows.
- Experience managing teams with an on-call rotation and acting as an incident commander during critical outages.
- Important to have proven abilities to excel in a people leadership role.
- BA/BS is required.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.