Senior Software Engineer - Build and Release
Slack’s Build and Release team makes the build and release of native client software fast and enjoyable for our developers. We maintain the tools and infrastructure that keep our Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android apps (yes, all of them!) building reliably and releasing frequently. We produce reliable, scalable infrastructure and enable the engineering teams building all of these applications to deliver feature after feature with confidence. This team works closely with other teams across the company with the sole mission of making Slack the best place in the world to develop desktop and mobile applications.
You should have familiarity with most of the target platforms but experience authoring or building software on each one is not expected. Instead, you should be able to research and experiment efficiently, have a bias towards automation, and a desire to make your fellow engineers more productive.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Creating reliable, scalable infrastructure that enables mobile engineering teams to deliver features with confidence.
- Automating the configuration of Linux and Mac build infrastructure
- Improve the reliability and performance of test and build processes
- Automating the installation and upkeep of build tools and dependencies
- Designing, coding and maintaining automated release process tools and infrastructure
- Improving the reliability and performance of test and build processes
- Collaborating with other teams to improve process and code
What you should have
- You have a passion for building and distributing mobile applications
- You have experience with CI tools, especially Jenkins
- You have experience managing the configuration of Linux and Mac build infrastructure
- You have experience with public cloud, especially AWS
- You have experience with configuration management tools, especially Chef
- You have experience with Android Studio and Xcode
- You have worked on build and release teams and have familiarity with submitting to app stores
- You are motivated by helping other engineers succeed and work efficiently
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to program managers, customer support and other engineers is no problem for you
- You are someone that others enjoy working with due to your positive attitude and technical competence
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.