Sr. Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
About the Team
Slack is looking for a senior engineering leader for our Site Reliability Engineering team. We have scaled faster than any software company before and have become the critical communication infrastructure for the world’s largest corporations. Reliability is central to Slack’s mission and our promise to customers. The SRE group engages with software development teams to improve the reliability, operability and visibility into the health of Slack’s software. Site Reliability Engineers develop the operational readiness of developers and coach them how to assume responsibility for running services and build resilient software. Are you a leader who can guide and rapidly scale this team for Slack?
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
- Recruit and retain the technical talent required to establish and expand this reliability focused practice
- Establish the criteria by which reliability engineers engage and produce value with software teams
- Develop communication programs to connect the team with the rest of the engineering organization
- Own the organizational objective of continuously improving our software developers operational awareness and responsibility
- Cultivate a safe work culture that inspires individual decision-making and innovation
- Coach for frequent and effective feedback among team members
- Represent Slack engineering and management at industry events
You might be a good fit if
- You are passionate about management, coaching, and creating opportunities to support your directs’ success.
- You can drive decisive action and gain consensus across team and department boundaries.
- Your leadership style makes space for multiple senior engineers and supports the growth of everyone on your team to keep pace with rapid change.
- You are able to weigh several, often conflicting constraints, and make quick decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-paced company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—is needed for success
What you should have
- You are not expected to code but should possess technical experience in Reliability Engineering in order to recognize the important decisions your team faces and provide meaningful feedback
- You have several years experience serving in a senior engineering management role
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Previous experience with Production Engineering / SRE
- Previous experience in DevOps transformations
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.