Sr. Software Engineer, Cost Engineering
About the Team
The Cloud Economics Engineering team is composed of software engineers and AWS Subject Matter Experts, working to make Slack more performant, available & cost-efficient each day. We’re driving cost down and ensuring that Slack is performant and available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on scaling problems for a global customer base and write software to provide visibility into our cloud infrastructure. We get excited about making Slack cost-efficient whilst ensuring we use the right technology stack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
- Leading software projects, from start to finish, where the scope is mostly understood
- Design and develop a new platform to provide our engineering teams visibility into their cloud spend and efficiency
- Implementation of a home-grown chargeback system to ensure the correct service owners know the cost they place onto other systems
- Where needed, embed into our development teams, to help them improve their service performance/efficiency with an aim to reduce cloud costs
- Proactively build great relationships with service owners with ideas/tips on how to reduce platform cost
- Monitor our cloud spend and track changes over time
- Responsible for saving millions of dollars every year and keeping our cloud costs under control
What you should have
- Curiosity about how clouds work and love to share that knowledge with others
- The ability to analyze and optimize efficiency in high-traffic internet applications
- A mentoring mindset and love to model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting. You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience (approximately 5-8 years)
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python or Go (used without frameworks)
- Experience working with large scale AWS environments
- A domain expert within the AWS ecosystem (S3 / ML / EC2)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Prior experience reducing cloud costs
- Have utilized tools such as CloudHealth or AWS Cost Explorer
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.