Design Operations Manager
The DesignOps team at Slack is responsible for a mix of managing the design team’s business operations, ensures design excellence, and helps shape and drive the design team’s culture, craft, and priorities. This team is still quite new at Slack, so this person will help to shape and evangelize the DesignOps team.
As the Design Operations Manager at Slack, you will partner with cross-functional members of our product teams such as design managers, product managers, designers, engineers, and business leaders. You will help enable the design team to focus their time on designing and shipping great products as well as ensure design has a high bar for quality. You will also manage the process and prioritization to align the delivery of high-quality design work to the most important product areas. The successful candidate must possess a strong understanding of design and the different crafts that are part of the design family.
What you'll be doing
- Collaborate with and support the design team in delivering high-quality designs; act as a bridge between the design team and the engineering and product management teams, connecting all groups and making sure inter-dependencies are understood and planned for effectively
- Point out connections and potential collisions between different products, features and platforms and reconciles these
- Collaborate closely with senior designers on the team to define your features and contribute to the overall direction of your product area
- Identify team needs with regards to process, tools, documentation, asset management, etc.
- Provide stakeholders with visibility and updates of current projects, resource utilization, team performance and product health across your teams
- Develop and manage design programs including resourcing, timelines, and identifying new design programs
- Implement or drive required changes to make sure designers are working at optimum efficiency
- Lead or collaborate with design leadership in key project decision-making, including requirements gathering, scheduling, resource allocation, and coordination of teams and approval processes
- Bring all the critical pieces together – strategy, business goals, design, execution, technology, and customer needs
- Establish project timelines and tasks and manage large projects through all phases of implementation
- Define and create a process to receive design requests and prioritize them
- Own the product lifecycle from requirements gathering through production and release
- Interface with internal business partners throughout various departments
What you should have
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working in design operations, design agencies, or design program management
- Experience working with or managing design systems
- Deep experience working with creative/design teams, understanding how to integrate process with creative minds
- Experience managing the operations for a mid to large size design team
- Experience working with both product and marketing design teams
- Basic understanding of qualitative and quantitative research best practices
- Experience with agile development and methodologies
- Thorough understanding of the creative development processes
- Ability to understand complex programs, scope and prioritize projects, define schedules, and work independently
- Know online and mobile technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions
- A driving passion for creating products that resonate on an emotional level with customers
- Experience with design prototyping or front-end programming a plus
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.