Developer Support Agent
Successful, productive teams use a wide variety of services and products in their day-to-day work. Software developers use source control, social media managers monitor Twitter, accountants share spreadsheets in Google Drive, and designers trade assets back and forth using Dropbox. One of Slack's defining and most powerful features is its platform for integrating with these and dozens of other services — Slack allows teams to not only communicate with one another via messages, but also to interact with everything else in their productivity toolchain in one place.
In this role you will be helping developers succeed in using our APIs to build useful, meaningful tools on our platform, whether they are building highly-customized integrations with their team's internal tools or building third party services to make Slack even more useful than it is.
The developers who build these integrations are a growing community of interesting and engaged makers. Slack's success as a platform and a company depends on the success of this community as much as our own work. Our goal is to get them the answers they need as quickly as we can. To that end, we are building a distributed team of experienced professionals who understand how the Internet works and where web services, data interchange, and APIs fit into that.
Your role in that team will be working with those developers both one-on-one and in larger groups. You'll not only help them figure out what they need to finish their project — you'll be an advocate for our API and product and you'll be an advocate for the developer. You'll be one of Slack's in-house expert users of our own APIs and you'll gain a deep and detailed knowledge about the inner workings of dozens of other services.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Respond to developer questions about our integration tools and APIs.
- Respond to customer questions about Slack-built integrations.
- Respond to incoming requests to integrate services with Slack
- Provide our partners technical support regarding integrated services and handle the full support lifecycle of integrations support inquiries through email, Twitter, Chat and other tools to be determined.
- You are the canary in the coalmine on API issues, helping to highlight issues for the Engineering team.
- Assist non-technical agents in answering API- or integration-related questions.
- Assist in the manual QA process for new platform features.
- Contribute improvements to Slack’s API and user documentation
- Contribute to the growing Slack developer community
What you should have
- You understand web services, including transport (primarily HTTP), common data formats (JSON and XML), and standard API patterns (e.g. REST).
- You can write code in at least one language to gather data from web services and use it for your own purposes.
- You understand data and don’t hesitate to dive into dashboards and reports to derive insights and trends.
- You are skilled at explaining technical problems and issues succinctly and clearly.
- Simple fluency in English is not sufficient — you must be a strong, confident, and exacting writer.
- You know when something is over your head and are not afraid to ask for help.
- College degree or equivalent professional experience required.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.