Sr. Software Engineer, Desktop DevXP
The Desktop Developer Experience team is responsible for building tools for engineers at Slack to build, package, test, and ship both the desktop and web clients. This team of software engineers is focused on the tooling and infrastructure needed to ensure high-quality, reliable software delivery. Our team is responsible for making frontend engineers at Slack more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers who value craftsmanship, quality, and empathy.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
This position is based in San Francisco and reports to one of our engineering managers.
What you will be doing
- Build and integrate tools and services that enable continuous delivery and developer productivity needs.
- Evolve and manage the build, test and release tooling and processes for the Desktop client.
- Translate requirements into designs that align with team and company goals.
- Roll out projects in phases, monitor adoption, and fine-tune in response to internal customer feedback.
- Guide and influence other areas of Engineering (such as Infrastructure and Test Engineering).
What you should have
- You're an excellent communicator and work well within and across teams.
- You're eager to integrate third-party systems but show good judgment when considering when to build something in-house instead.
- You understand continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines as well as cross-platform build and release best practices.
- You're familiar with virtualization, dynamic provisioning, Docker, AWS, Linux, MacOS and Windows.
- You know your way around desktop development—including testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking—especially if it's with a cross-platform framework such as Electron.
- You have experience with webpack, bazel or other modern build tools.
- You have experience with test automation, especially graphical test automation.
- You've developed distributed systems at scale.
- You've used Slack and are excited to make it better.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.