Sr. Engineering Manager
Slack is looking for a Sr. Engineering Manager to lead and build out a cross functional engineering team in our Toronto, Canada office that includes Frontend, Backend, iOS and Android engineers. This team develops and supports the features that our end users rely on every day and is part of the Product Engineering organization at Slack.
You’ll build out a team of hardworking engineers and lead that team while partnering closely with stakeholders. We need someone who understands the value of career development and can help catapult the team forward by facilitating psychologically safe discussions around: project progress, process improvements, mentorship, and general happiness. You should be proficient in full-stack design principles and be able to give advice on code architecture and implementation.
We partner with Product, Design, Data Engineering, and other Engineering teams and you will be required to make prioritization and allocation decisions to achieve our company-wide goals.
What you will be doing
- Set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing.
- Prioritize and allocate project work to your team of engineers.
- Represent the team in planning and product meetings.
- Meet with the rest of the engineering management team to align engineering-wide priorities.
- Implement effective engineering processes and policies.
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience in either an Engineering Manager or a Senior Engineering Management role leading productive, high-functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a high growth company environment.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.