Sr. User Researcher
Slack is hiring a Senior Researcher to work with our Foundations team; the team that builds the core functionality of Slack, including messaging, search and discovery and client capabilities. In this role. you will lead research efforts partnering with cross-functional teams in product, design, analytics, engineering and product marketing.
The Research and Analytics team seeks to improve product value throughout the entire customer experience by understanding the how and why of team workflows, communication processes and cultures. To do this, we provide research at every stage of the product development cycle. As a researcher you are embedded in a product vertical alongside a team of designers, PMs, engineers and other cross-functional partners. In addition to conducting many different types of practical and impactful research, you are also passionate about helping to build and maintain the strong user-centered culture at Slack.
Our work ranges from formative to evaluative, with everything in between. We are looking to bring on a senior researcher who is an excellent communicator, passionate about technology, comfortable in a flat, dynamic organization, excited to collaborate, and focused squarely on impacting the design of Slack. You'll help us conduct best-in-class research in order to better deliver on Slack’s mission: to make your working life simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you’ll be doing
- Gather and prioritize key questions from product, design, engineering and product marketing teams.
- Plan and conduct practical, impactful research throughout the entire product cycle, to answer the questions posed above.
- Gather insights about customers from a variety of research methods, including surveys, interviews, diary studies and usability studies.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative results and convey those insights to the appropriate people in the most engaging and actionable manner.
- Work closely with product teams to help them use research insights to make Slack better.
- Work closely with analytics and data science to tell a cohesive story about our product.
- Act as an internal evangelist for customer and product research.
What you should have
- Masters or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or similar), or equivalent experience
- 5+* years industry experience
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Experience managing projects involving cross-functional teams
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Strong story-telling skills and an ability to frame insights into compelling narratives
- Familiarity with developing or using product / marketing frameworks to align cross-functional teams.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and perform a wide variety of research-related tasks, including recruiting participants
*Through trial and error we've learned that people don't apply unless we provide a guideline. But what’s more important to us than a number are the experiences you’ve had, and the skills you’ve developed, regardless of the length of time it took you to get where you are. Have 20+ years? Awesome, please apply. Have only 2 years, but feel you meet the requirements above? Great, please apply.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.