Senior Software Engineer - Test Infrastructure
Slack is looking for an experienced engineer to optimize the performance and scalability of our software testing systems as we rapidly scale our product and engineering organization. This is an excellent position for an engineer who enjoys working with both infrastructure and interfaces used by developers and QA engineers to build high-quality software and tests. One size does not fit all so please bring your bag of tricks.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are creative, independent, and pragmatic.
About the Role
The performance, reliability and operational efficiency of our tests and pre-deployment pipeline (e.g. developer’s experiences and the operational efficiency) are critical to Slack’s success. This role will be responsible for identifying and building solutions for performance bottlenecks, writing software features to provide fast feedback mechanisms, and partnering with engineering teams to improve the architecture and usability of our systems.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Collaborating with engineering teams to build reliable end-to-end testing infrastructure supporting various native client, platform and core backend applications.
- Partnering with peers to architect the next-generation build and deploy pipeline system which will scale to meet growth - and then make it happen.
- Designing a language-agnostic build and test pipeline that can handle anything from native client software to compute infrastructure as code.
- Participating in the team on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
Projects you might work on:
- Build disaster control mechanisms to maintain the reliability and scalability of our services during periods of increased demand.
- Implement a feedback framework to check the status of service dependencies prior to executing expensive regression tests.
- Write a front-end feature to parse verbose test responses and surface critical results.
- Explore and implement tools and technologies like Kubernetes to provision and configure scalable build frameworks in public clouds.
You might be a good fit if:
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You love mentoring and modeling behaviors for writing tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- You have curiosity about how things work and aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves and get into it.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.