Sr. Engineering Manager, Developer Platform
Slack Platform’s mission is to make interactions between people and software delightful. We make it easier for you to integrate the software you use every day, streamline internal workflows, and discover and integrate new software solutions. We are building the largest wall-to-wall platform for business software discovery and distribution.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- During weekdays, the cumulative number of minutes of active use of Slack by all users globally now exceeds one billion.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 8 million simultaneously connected users, over 9.6 billion web requests, and enqueue over 2 billion background jobs
- We have 650k+ custom apps and integrations actively used weekly with 790k+ daily active developers building on the platform
- 90% of our paid customers on Slack actively use apps
The Platform Admin and Scale Engineering team’s mission is to enable our largest customers to deploy and lead Slack Apps at scale. We provide our Enterprise customers with the tools they need to feel safe and in control using Apps on Slack within their organization. Our team members are located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Pune, India.
In 2020, we are laying the groundwork for building Slack Apps across large organizations, enable Slack Apps to be available from anywhere within your organization, continuing to improve the experience around administrating Slack Apps, and providing developers and organizations the tools that they need to authenticate and lead their Slack Apps in as few clicks as possible.
What you will be doing
- Defining, evolving and communicating the team’s vision, mission, and strategy across Slack.
- Collaborating with Product and technical leaders to build a roadmap for your team and growing the team to execute on that roadmap.
- Executing on team's goals in a timely and efficient manner.
- Implement effective engineering processes and policies.
- Set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing.
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events.
What you should have
- You have at least five years of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- You have hands-on experience in API design and development and are up-to-date on standard methodologies for modern frontend engineering and developer platforms.
- You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions. You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with Product Management and other engineering teams on Slack Platform. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Developer Platform Engineering is a fun, diverse, and inclusive team that treats their colleagues extraordinarily well. We encourage and support each other’s growth and we do not expect any single candidate to have expertise across all of these areas.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.