Senior Chef Engineer
Slack is looking for Chef Engineers to design and build solutions focused on delivering a first-in-class endpoint experience for our employees. The Business Technology Client Platform Engineering team builds, runs, and supports the global endpoint fleet at Slack - the devices our employees use every day as their primary computers. Utilizing modern DevOps practices, you will work as a primary Chef specialist on the team, focused on creating infrastructure to make Slack employees have a simple, pleasant, and productive experience at work.
You are a hardworking self-starter with an ability to navigate a constantly evolving landscape. You enjoy and excel at crafting innovative and scalable infrastructure as well as collaborating across functions. Technical expertise and a real passion for innovation are crucial, but you’ll balance that with a desire to improve the user experience for the products and services we deliver to the Slack community.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and encouraging culture—we look for people who are curious, creative, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we seek to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative!
As a Senior Chef Engineer you will:
- Administer and scale our global fleet of employee devices, with a particular emphasis of using Chef on Windows and macOS endpoints.
- Provide on-call support, critical issue remediation, and incident response for core services.
- Write scripts, automation logic, and tests to handle endpoint configuration, application distribution, and related infrastructure.
- Use modern device trust and identity verification best practices.
- Spec, deploy, and maintain internal tooling such as centralized logging, monitoring/alerting, and configuration management.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have demonstrated advanced ability working with Chef configuration management software, including Chef Server, Automate, inSpec, and Test Kitchen.
- Have demonstrated experience with MDM tooling such as Windows InTune, SimpleMDM, or Fleetsmith.
- Have strong familiarity with Chocolatey, Powershell, Munki, and other management tooling.
- Comfort and inclination on using distributed version control (git), semantic versioning, and change management procedures such as Github flow.
- Have experience with administering, deploying, and resolving issues with Windows, Ubuntu Linux, macOS, and related software.
- Focus on code-first solutions, and have extensive background in writing idempotent scripts to manage devices.
- Know the importance of documentation and have a track record of writing clear and concise specifications and runbooks.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Autopilot and administering Windows endpoints using open source tools.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.