Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Lead the teams building Slack's infrastructure.
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time.
Infrastructure at Slack
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. Our team maintains and builds the lower levels of our stack, including:
- Edge services
- Real-time messaging
- Asynchronous background job processing
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, and scalable. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly.
Slack's API and web backend is built on PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. Our data infrastructure is built on Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, and MySQL. Our Chief Architect, Keith Adams, spoke about our architecture at QCon in 2016.
We are looking for an engineering manager to help lead the Infrastructure team. You will report to the Head of Infrastructure Engineering and will work closely with the other managers in Infrastructure and Operations.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other teams in engineering to ensure we build resilient systems that can scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are scrappy, independent, and pragmatic. Infrastructure is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You have 5+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
Please include with your application:
- Why you’re excited about being an engineering manager at Slack
- How you approach engineering management
- A brief description of the team you’re most proud of managing, and your role in helping it succeed
We look forward to working with you!
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have eight offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne, New York, London, Tokyo, and Toronto.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.