We are looking for an especially hardworking and pleasant attorney to join our legal team. You will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
You will work closely with our Sales & Accounts, Business Operations, Marketing, and other Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This could be a special opportunity for the right person. We’re just getting started! And we’re nice. :)
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licensing terms, Data Protection Agreements, contracting frameworks, including for the public sector. You’ll support Slack’s sales teams internationally and in particular in the EMEA region, with a focus on DACH. You’ll use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most efficient way.
- You will provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and collect new insights. Then, iterate again.
- Identify and lead/contribute to the team and cross-functional projects to help Slack scale.
- Provide practical, conclusive guidance to Sales & Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account companies policies and positions.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, privacy, open-source, IP, regulatory and other legal developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Advise on contract processes to optimize interactions with our Sales and Accounts team.
- 7+ years experience working on different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.) matched with deep experience on the types of transactions you will see most often (see above). We’d like you to be able to speak German fluently/to a very high standard.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very detailed manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It is a cliché, but attention to detail really is a requirement.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favourable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly rapidly growing and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and determine what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- A results-oriented approach that enables you to successfully work independently with little mentorship, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security, and commercial laws or the ability to learn. Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach a consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbook of fallback terms.
- Recognized legal qualification.
- You use Slack and love emojis.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams.
- Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.