Staff Product Designer, Audio & Video
This year’s circumstances have accelerated the shift to remote working. With people feeling fatigued from constant video conferencing and inefficient conversations, Slack is bringing more ways to encourage impromptu and casual interactions that feel more natural and human, which many people are missing these days. These ultimately make teams more creative and productive as they can replace some of the meetings that end up eating up people’s time.
Be part of a team of designers passionate about creating the best product for millions of users across the world. Slack’s Foundations team is in charge of Slack’s core experience: from helping teammates find each other, sending and receiving messages, collaborating on shared files to having impromptu voice calls, video chats and more. Our goal is to help people do their best work by making their working lives simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
In this role, you’ll be exploring alternative ways of communicating beyond text, using audio and video primitives as building blocks. The team's mandate is to build new product capabilities that make Slack feel like an essential digital replacement for the physical office. You’ll be involved in every stage of the design and product development process from strategy, ideation and brainstorming to crafting beautiful and easy to use designs and prototypes, iterating them until they go out and reach millions of people around the world.
What you will be doing
- Partnering with product managers, engineers, researchers, writers, designers and others to define, craft and oversee the user experience of our audio and video products
- Designing and prototyping simple and elegant end to end flows in different levels of fidelity to illustrate every detail of the interaction and user interface. No detail is too small
- Working hand-in-hand with engineers prototyping ideas, sharing them and soliciting all levels of feedback, from ease of use, visual design, motion and interactivity
- Tackling complex problems and tasks and turning them into easy to use experiences for millions of users around the world
- Solving complex interactions through prototyping and motion design
- Storytelling and communicating effectively, openly and often
- Swiftly and smoothly moving from strategy to ideation to execution
- Iterating, learning, iterating
What you should have
- Experience designing beautiful, usable audio and video experiences
- Experience designing across devices (mobile, tablet, desktop, etc.)
- A portfolio showcasing high craft on visual design
- A portfolio, live products or samples of work showcasing interaction and motion design
- Experience in fast-paced environments requiring flexibility, problem identification, task prioritization, flexibility, and different altitude artifact generation towards problem solving
- Proven ability to bring 0 to 1 products to life
- Prototyping first mindset
- Experience designing creator tools for consumer communication apps are ideal
Nice to haves
- Skills in front-end programming
- Experience designing global products (international audiences, multiple languages, etc.)
- Experience designing accessible products
- Past startup experience
- Domain experience from working on audio/video experiences in the past
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.