Associate Software Engineer, Security
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As a member of the Slack Security Customer Protection team, you are the first line of detection of bad actors using Slack in unwanted and unexpected ways. As Slack’s data, customers, and features grow, protecting customers’ data from unwanted behaviors becomes an ever more important and challenging problem. The Security Customer Protection team develops and uses tooling to tease out high-quality signal from the all the noise, to detect unwanted behaviors, such as abuse of users, workspaces, or tokens. Your work directly impacts the way millions of people, teams and businesses get things done.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Work closely with CE, Privacy, and Policy teams to understand customer issues and current policies
- Develop new dashboards to visualize and surface data for analysis and reporting
- Develop and execute code to: modify data tables, automate database queries, surface and analyze logs, perform password resets
- Manage investigations of abuse and discover new abuse cases
- Bring to bear security-relevant data and log sources to surface unwanted activity in the customer space, both proactively and reactively
- Use data and tools to understand and hunt for threats in the environment
- Collaborate with product and features teams on security capabilities
- Understand the underpinnings of how Slack works, and where bad actors could take advantage, to develop improved detective tools
- Expose measurable data to internal and external partners to improve Slack’s ability to detect future threats
What you should have
- 3-5 years work experience
- Experience working in a customer and policy driven environment
- Experience understanding bad actors and abuse; involvement remediating abuse or security-related incidents is a plus
- An understanding of relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres
- General experience with python, bash, linux and basic security concepts
- Self awareness and a desire to improve your security engineering skills
- An eagerness to jump in and help fix things
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.